Translate

Sunday 15 September 2013

Excerpt: MANscapes Chapter 28

Sylvine carefully inserted the eye-dropper in the struggling bird’s tiny beak. Her whole attention apparently focused on the fragile scrap of life trembling in her fist. “Do you love him?” she asked. “My grandson, I mean.”

Clara smiled - “Winston! Why yes, of course! I adore him.”

“I mean, are you in love with him?” The bird contorted itself almost to breaking point in its struggle to free itself from Sylvine’s gentle grasp.

Clara gasped for breath as an intense flash of embarrassed heat seared her chest. “NO! No.”

“How do you know?” Sylvine opened her hand. For one dazed moment the bird sat in her palm, than leaped away in a flutter of turquoise iridescence.

“Because it doesn’t hurt, because I’m not afraid.”

Sylvine tilted her head to look at her, her dark eyes bright. “Do you think you know what love is, Clara? Because I don’t. Even to this day, I cannot explain, why for that one moment when you are suspended - and are entirely there and completely sane – that one moment just before…Did you know that it feels exactly the same? So you cannot tell if your heart is about to be broken or healed of all its pain.”


Manuela Cardiga

No comments:

Post a Comment